22 February 2011

Pot control - Part 1

Successful No-Limit Hold'em players know that it is of critical importance, most of the hands the size of the pot to control in the.

If you have control, you reduce the number of your error, increase the number of opponent's errors and manipulate the odds slightly in your favor.

There are four basic ways to gain control over the hand:

1st position: If a player assumes the position of the aggressor, is the control to the player who has the position.

2nd Be the Aggressor: The player who sets and increases, is the aggressor. The aggressor is always the player who controls the hand. He must have control to reveal only one of two possible scenarios.

3rd Spread fear: If you are afraid of the table, you can keep control of a hand at any time to tear the. Even if your opponent is the aggressor (and therefore actually has control), you can regain control by simply playing with fear.

4 collecting more information: who has the most information is permanently accessible, the control, independent of all previous points. Even if you are the most feared player in the world and the aggressor, if your opponent has the nuts and you do not notice it, he always has full control.

As you see, is the last point more important than the third, which in turn is more important than the second, etc.

In order to have control, you must have information that are missing your opponent. The more you know, not what others know, the more control you have.

Deceive and disguise

The more control you have, the better your situation. But if everyone at the table know that you have control, you may not bring other players to play a big pot.

Really big profit you get when you let your opponent think that they are in control.

If your opponent thinks he has control, he does not fear you. Allow him to believe that he tickles money out of you, although you make it really a trap, and you will get the big pot.

For example:

The situation: Live Cash Game, full ring, $ 1 / $ 2 No Limit

I get 8  8 ♦ in middle position. I just wanted to change my tactics and be more aggressive, so I make a standard raise to $ 15

I get two calls. I currently have the largest stack with about $ 600 The button keeps $ 450

The flop: 9 ♠ 4  9 ♣

The flop is not just great for me, but not necessarily bad. The only couple, in the fear I have right now, are pocket tens, because I'm assuming that boys would have been better or raised before the flop again.

There are a number of hands with a nine, which could play my opponents, but the statistical chance it is relatively small. So it may well be that I think the best hand, so I do a c-bet from $ 30
The first player folds, so I play heads-up against the button. He now runs a small show.

"Tjaaaa ...." If he and sighs." I must call home. "

So I'm 100% sure that he has a nine, and I would make a bet that he thinks A-9.
It may be natural that he has a set of fours, but I'm struck in both cases. So now I have valuable information, because I know what we both hold as he knows only what he holds himself.

I have more information and I am the aggressor. This control is clearly over the pot with me. Unfortunately I'm in a very bad situation, so allow me to control only as inexpensive as possible to get out of hand.

The pot is $ 108

The river is the 8 ♣.

I miss just a suck-out, I know that it is a suck-out, and I love that at this time I know exactly what he has, but he does not know what I have.

I know that I'm lying in front, and I know he thinks the same of himself. He believes me to have lured into the trap.

In other words, he believes, to have complete control of the pot. This illusion is accompanied by a large self-confidence and sense of invulnerability.

Now I am in a perfect situation and I am convinced that to win anything but his whole stack, would be a huge mistake.

You might think that it was not a big mistake by him to let me control, because he had such a strong hand and I could only win by a suck-out. In the second part I will explain, however, why it was a big and expensive mistake by him, not to take control.